Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 4 of sleep training... Success?

I have to run an errand with my sis in law and mom in law soon but I wanted to make a quick note: we may have nap time success!!! Haylie fell asleep while eating for naps one and two today, and for nap 3, I fed her and she was almost asleep so I put her in her bed... Never mind, now she's crying :(. Instead of typing this while she sleeps, I'm going to ATTEMPT to type this up while she's crying it out.

I hate hearing her cry!!!! I at least do stay nearby and listen to her crying tho so should the cry change (like when she scratches her face once) I'm nearby to give whatever she needs to be ok. It's been two minutes. Goodness gracious I hate this. I wish she was just born knowing how to sleep like some baby's I know. :(. I've read that letting baby cry it out like this rarely takes more than a week for baby to learn tho so she should be close... Right? 5 minutes.

I'm trying so hard not to laugh now. She's almost out and her noises aren't even really cries any more. Just sleepy, loud complaints and they sound so funny. Sadly, just because they're humorous doesn't mean they still don't make me wish I was comforting her. 7 minutes.

At ten minutes, I go over to her and shoosh and rub her belly, give her back her bink and start the count again. Unless she's almost out, like she seems to be now. Dang, I seriously thought she was going to fall asleep on her own! 9 minutes... I'm going to comfort her at 11. Maybe it'll push her over the edge into sleepy time. ++watching the time like a hawk++.

And we're back to crying... :(. As I feared, the comforting only seemed to wake her a little bit more. We'll go again in 15 mins...

So why torture myself like this, you ask? Well, there are a number of experts and parents that are against letting a baby cry it out, even for short, supervised times like I do. For one, it was something Kris and I agreed we would do. Then I gave up and started going to her rescue after about a minute or two of crying every time. Kris didn't like that and when we went to her 4 month dr appointment, the doctor didn't like that Haylie didn't know how to put herself to sleep yet. The AAP recommended way to "teach" a baby to fall asleep on their own is a bit of crying it out, comfort, longer time of crying, comfort, longer time, etc. until baby falls asleep. My doctor also recommended this. For all the parents out there that feel that's totally wrong and mean to baby, you don't need to tell me, I hate it enough as it is!!! And I'm quite well read on the subject. This is what we have decided is best for Haylie. Not for me, I hate it. 9 minutes. How in the world is that child still awake?!

Whoever said this takes 2-4 days was full of it...

After 35 minutes, she is out. And I'm off to run an errand with some in laws. I shall tell you more about that soon! ;) BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments:

Post a Comment